International Bottled Water Association | NEWS RELEASE | November 15, 2012
New Orleans, LA – The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) today announced Pure Flo Water Company, located in Santee, CA winner of its Environmental Sustainability Award. The announcement was made at the 2012 IBWA Annual Business Conference in New Orleans, LA, held November 12-16.
“Pure Flo Water Company is impressive because it has not only taken action—it has also set up a process for continuous improvement. That sets them apart,” said IBWA Convention Co-Chair Dan Kelly.
Pure Flo is committed to processing, bottling, and distributing water in a safe, effective, and responsible manner. A few ways they fulfill that commitment include the following:
- Implementing an alternative workweek schedule for select groups within the operations department, which provides a 20 percent reduction in energy use
- Reducing groundwater extraction through improved water processing and the bottling process
- Redesigning its landscaping and improving the company’s grounds maintenance to reduce run off as part of its Storm Water Pollution Prevention Program
- Using local vendors to minimize carbon emissions associated with the trucking of goods
- Implementing “zero waste” practices to support a reduce, reuse, and recycle philosophy
- Establishing a relationship with an independently owned recycling company who provides bins and pick up services for polycarbonate and other plastics, cardboard and paper, electronics, and wood
- Implementing operational changes such as reorganizing routes, switching to a three-week delivery cycle, developing an eight-year vehicle replacement matrix that will significantly reduce emissions from its fleet.
Environmental stewardship has long been a focus of the bottled water industry. This award recognizes member companies who have excelled in creating and implementing sustainable environmental projects and conservation measures.
Please contact IBWA if you would like additional information and/or photos.
– ## –
The International Bottled Water Association (IBWA) is the authoritative source of information about all types of bottled waters, including spring, mineral, purified, artesian, and sparkling. Founded in 1958, IBWA’s membership includes U.S. and international bottlers, distributors and suppliers. IBWA is committed to working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which regulates bottled water as a packaged food product, to set comprehensive and stringent standards for safe, high-quality bottled water products.
In addition to FDA regulations, IBWA member bottlers must adhere to the IBWA Bottled Water Code of Practice, which mandates additional standards and practices that in some cases are more stringent than federal and state regulations. A key feature of the IBWA Bottled Water Code of Practice is a mandatory annual plant inspection by an independent, third-party organization.
IBWA is proud to be a partner with Keep America Beautiful and a supporter of Drink Up, an initiative of former First Lady Michelle Obama and the Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA), which encourages Americans to drink more water more often – whether from the tap, a filter, or in a bottle. Choosing water is always the healthy choice.